Saturday, November 26, 2005

An unusualy Tofurkyday

Thanksgiving was great. I am now living up in Albuquerque in a house with three older guys, who are also jazz musicians and along the waves of big brother types. Its funny, I've never been excited about getting to know people before, but since I have moved up to Albuquerque, it has been a real excitement getting to know new people. Dan and Ryan are "the guys" and very comforting to have around.

For Thanksgiving we had a huge pancake breakfast with a bunch of their friends and family. It was a really warm environment, but I couldn't help feeling that inner shy-mode kick in. There were a lot of nice people there and all seemed really interesting. It's so hard sometimes to just sink into the moment when I don't know anyone. But, tha pancakes were really good and I met a few artists and actresses so it was warm over all. The two cappucinos before everyone got there probably didn't help, though.

So after a hearty pancake breakfast I drove back to Socorro to eat some more with family. And that was also nice. I am always glad to see Stella, an old friend of Steve and Ann's as she is such a vibrant person. She lost her husband about six years ago and the way she talks about him, they must have been a beautiful sight to see. Stella is the one who embraces you in this all encompasing hug with a kiss on the cheek and tells you you look beautiful - and the amazing thing is that when she tells you, you really do feel beautiful. And, she tells all of the women that they are beautiful, and gives all the men a hard time about everything. She also has a lot of down days, which is probably why I feel a deeper understanding of her. It was great seeing her and the aunts who are always quick to embrace you despite any faults.

After the dinner I went to see Andrew and the other guys, and really enjoyed that. I always feel so comfortable around them - the absorbed family. Watched a movie, then played a heated game of pictionary and just felt good. Thinking back on it - its funny how much I enjoy being around them, just feels so familiar.

I also stopped to see Aileen, and really enjoyed that. She is another one of those truly warm people who I just love spending time with. And curled up with the cats for a while, which is always a simple joy.

I drove back to Albuquerque after Aileen's and crashed as soon as I got in. The next morning I walked out to my car to drive to work and found a guy in a red sweatshirt in the back seat, with the radio and cd player. He had broken the window but only stole those things. Made for a pretty shocking day and I couldn't even yell or ask for the stuff back. I just stood there and stared at him. I couldn't believe someone would actually do that. Why would they do that?

Well, guess it was a big wake up call - I am now in the big city. Heads up. Happy Tofurkyday to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home