Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Ripple Effect

If you haven't seen it, you've got to see the movie CRASH. It is so amazing - addressing racism on every level, yet also the beauty of innocense in all of us. And the beauty of how fragile we all are. And also about what I have decided to name The Ripple Effect.

More and more movies have been playing along a similar theme. Or maybe I have just been seeing more of them. This gives me faith in humanity.

The ripple effect: that we all effect everyone and everything by the way we move through the world. We are all drops of water in a bucket, but we makes ripples that cross over the ripples that other drops in the same bucket create. Ripples and ripples across the ocean. It is pouring outside. And here is the flood. There is a wake in my path and everyone I meet and am in the same room with, in the same block, neighborhood and city. We have all got a wake behind us, and millions of drops of water to drink deeply of. Maybe this is why they call it a wake when you got to a funeral. All of the people a person touched, that were moved by the way this one person moved through an ocean of possibilities are left in the wake of their life.

Makes me think of all of the people in Louisiana. It just makes me ache inside, and then the flood of helplessness - how can I really help the people who are suffering?

And how do I make sure that I am making the best ripples with my life as I possibly can? Thinking of all of the people who have moved me, I am grateful for that so much.

Right now I am working in a department store and its funny - seeing how everyone comes in to buy Christmas presents and they are so intensely excited about giving a person a certain gift. I keep trying to figure out what I want for Christmas as I walk around the store, checking off people in my head that I can get things for. And, to be honest the one thing I want for Christmas is not a thing at all, just someone that will love me. Completely. Ha Ha. That's all. And if you could just put a bright red bow on their head, Santa, that would just be fabulous.

And, how amazing: the one disease that is hitting our nation, and the world is going undetected. Loneliness. We should be fighting against isolation and fear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home