Sunday, May 07, 2006

Beautiful songs and Sundays


Sitting on the floor in my dorm, soda in one hand and raw ramen in the other, writing the last of the research paper for human growth and development, I decide to take a break and do some writing. Listening to Damien Rice, what a hugely sentimental, honest and sad cd. I remember reading an essay by Edgar Allen Poe, his method of communicating beauty through sorrow. How, there is something about melancholy and depression and sadness that is familiar to every human being, and there is the reason why he relates all of his love stories through the sad tragedy of love, instead of through the fluffy white bunny shit. I always thought that was incredible - excluding the fact that he has been essentially written off by the public at large as a maniac and drunk/drug addict, but it was actually that he created this character to write through, in order to achieve the feeling of intense sorrow in his audience - and it worked.

Maybe that is why this song, "I can't take my eyes off of you..." has such resonance with me. It's so beautiful and sad, the longing and the wanting, yet the distance that is implied. There is so much sorrow in the song, that it is truly a beautiful song. But, it does end on a note of hope: "I can't take my mind off of you.... until I find somebody new."

So today has actually been pretty productive - went out for coffee with Erica, worked on putting some stuff together for tomorrow and am really feeling pretty efficient. Also went for a pretty impressive run - I am starting to feel myself preparing for a marathon. I think this is something I need to do. I think I still need a good challenge, just to make sure I am still sharp enough. Or else I just get lazy, and I don't usually watch tv, so I have a lot of time and might as well do something for my own body during that time. Hey, maybe I can get some sponsor ship towards the sustain group or some other charity group. Hmmmm..... there are definitely possibilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home